Location: Concord, CA
Working in partnership with the Executive Director, the Development Director is responsible for leading all fundraising activities including annual giving, individual major gifts, foundation and corporate giving, events and planned giving.
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and is part of the Executive Management team. This position will supervise a small staff of 1.5 FTE.
• Work with Executive Director to advance a comprehensive, diversified and sustainable fund raising program, including individual giving, corporate giving, private foundations, planned giving and cultivation and fundraising events.
• Build all development efforts to advance the organization.
• Represent Lutheran Social Services of Northern California to its constituents and the public.
• Oversee and coordinate all foundation and corporate proposal development, tracking, and reporting.
• Cultivate new prospective donors through special events and other engagement opportunities.
• Guide and work directly with Board members, other volunteers, and staff in implementing the individual and major gifts program, fund raising events, corporate giving, and their own individual giving.
• Design and implement the individual giving program, including the implementation of direct response campaigns, and individual donor cultivation and solicitation.
• Oversee the development and implementation of all fund-raising events.
• Manage and analyze the annual development operating budget.
• Oversee the prospect database, including analysis, gift reporting, acknowledgements, accounting, and data sharing.
• Ensure that the development activities adhere to high standards for development systems and procedures, including donor acknowledgement, record keeping, budgeting and reporting.
• Adhere to fundraising best practices with regards to policies and procedures.
• The ability to work with a wide range of constituents, including clergy and lay members of Lutheran churches
• Knowledge of and experience raising funds for religious based social service agencies
• A passion for the mission of Lutheran Social Service and those served by its programs
• Ability to and passion for working in a “small shop” environment
• A bachelor’s degree required, CFRE preferred, and at least five years of experience in a comprehensive development program, preferably running a small department.
• A track record of success in conducting a comprehensive annual campaign
• Articulate communication skills, both verbal and written
• Demonstrated effectiveness in donor identification, cultivation and solicitation
• Excellent writing, oral communications, analytical skills and attention to detail
• Good public speaking and presentation skills
• Must have the ability to travel extensively throughout the regional area of LSS
• Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Office Suite
• Five to seven years of demonstrated and measurable successful fundraising experience with quantifiable results
• Demonstrated ability and experience with all aspects of fundraising and budgeting including monthly projections, audit preparation, etc.
• Knowledge of local funding and philanthropic communities
• Experience managing fundraising professionals and volunteers
• Planned giving, estate planning and tax implications knowledge and experience
• Knowledge of and experience with either the Benevan or Jeffersonian fundraising models, a plus
• Expertise in individual giving, foundation and corporate fundraising experience, including grant writing
• Commitment to accountability and transparency
• Expertise in major giving with proven track record of prospecting, cultivating and managing donor relationships
• Events planning and management experience
• Fluency with Excel and Microsoft Office
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively and compassionately
All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential.
Lutheran Social Services of Northern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy
of your resume with a cover letter, both in pdf format please, to Victoria Silverman at firstname.lastname@example.org